Saturday, September 15, 2007

YMCA


As it states in my history,I'm 49 years old. And let's just say, I haven't exercised for about 30 of those years. Let's be totally frank and say I haven't exercised in about 30 PLUS of those years.
Well, I joined the YMCA!! (When I say that, it makes me wanna break into dance and start doing hand motions like the Village people) Thanks to my buddy Corie!!! (Who by the way, really is good for me...makes me do things I don't necessarily want to do but probably should)
This past week I started aquacise class. It's for "beginners" which was right up my alley because remember, nothing for 30 years.There were only 2 other women in the class, Mary and Joyce, who by the way ,have been taking this class for 2 years. Let me just say, I was by far the smallest of our group and well, THAT says alot. And I really am not trying to be mean.....Maybe I'm trying to be a little humorous at their expense....(which is mean I suppose) OKAY!! OKAY!!...at times I can be mean!
Anyway, it was a bit disheartening to think they've been taking this class for 2 years and that is the result???
Mary and Joyce didn't talk much. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure Joyce could talk. The most I ever heard her do was respond to Mary with a grunt. At one point, I really was beginning to think I was in the class "Aquacise for the disabled". Joyce also had a hard time floating while holding on to a "NOODLE". Those things hold anyone up. Seriously! NOT JOYCE. I saw her fall off the noodle, go under water , come up coughing but keep in mind WE WERE IN SHALLOW WATER!! JOYCE WAS DROWNING IN 3 FEET OF WATER!! Now before you think I'm just being mean, when I left the Y at the end of the class, one of the employees called me to the side and said " Hey Karen, next week will be better.There will be some others in the class that you can relate to...more like you" I swear!! And I didn't say a word to this employee.
But the bottom line is, I enjoyed the class. I really feel like I did something good for myself. And I really do love the water. I even enjoyed Mary and Joyce. And although I use what I can for a joke alot of the times, I have a soft spot for people with any kind of disability. Like Mary and Joyce!!

Well, off to the Y I go for my beginners walking class...this ought to be a hoot too!!

2 comments:

Corie said...

Karen, I know that I heard this story before, but it is still making me laugh. (Sorry Joyce and Mary). I can't wait to hear more stories after you go on Monday!

AND, I am super proud to read that you are heading to walking class!! Go Karen Go!

Just wanted you to know that I'll be thinking about you and your family today! Enjoy every minute of it!!!!
((HUGS))

Sarah said...

Totally dying! Too funny. Love humor at other peoples expense, it really is the best kind. :)

Way to go on joining the Y!